The Traxxas EZ-Start® system brings the power, convenience and safety of push-button electric starting to the TRX 2.5, 2.5R, or 3.3 Racing Engines. Simply plug in the hand-held control unit, push the button, and the EZ-Start system automatically heats the glow plug and the lightweight, compact on-board drive spins the engine. Traxxas' exclusive Smart Start™ technology monitors critical starting functions, automatically sensing and diagnosing potential problems for trouble-free engine starting every time.
The EZ-Start® requires a fully-charged, 7.2-volt, 6-cell battery pack and a charger (not included). A single charge should provide a full day of starting.
Traxxas EZ-Start Features
- Power for the EZ-Start system comes from a 7.2-volt rechargeable battery pack installed in the hand-held control unit.
- The engine glow plug is heated automatically by the EZ?Start system, eliminating the need to keep up with a separate glow plug igniter.
- The voltage to the glow plug is kept constant, regardless of the load placed on the starter by the starter motor.
- The “Glow Plug�? LED (light emitting diode) on the control unit indicates the condition of the glow plug.
- The “Motor�? LED indicates the status of the EZ-Start electric starter motor.
- The cush drive mechanism in the drive unit prevents damage to the gears caused by engine kickback.
- Smart Start™ protection circuitry prevents damage to the motor by cutting power if the load on the motor or other electronics exceeds safe limits.
Using the EZ-Start
The EZ-Start controller plugs into a 4-prong receptacle on your vehicle. When the red button on the controller is pressed, the EZ-Start motor begins to spin the engine and power from the control unit heats the glow plug. Assuming all settings and preparations are correct, the engine will start almost immediately.
Each of the two status indicator LEDs on the handheld control unit, the Motor LED and the Glow Plug LED, should light green while starting. If either LED fails to light while starting, there is a fault indicated with that function.
If the Glow Plug LED fails to light, the glow plug may be bad, or the glow plug wire may be damaged or disconnected.
If the Motor LED fails to light and the starter fails to operate, then the EZ-Start is in protection mode.